Tuesday, January 14, 2014

I hate following recipes {+ a Green Garlic sauce recipe}

I never follow recipes. Ever. Every time I try to follow a recipe, it turns out horribly wrong. Just like the time when I tried to make a Spanish Ajillo sauce for my New Year's dinner. Was it delicious? Yes. Was it edible? Only if you wanted to ward off vampires for the rest of your life...

I guess I should have known that only a crazy person would put half a head of garlic into a sauce, but still - it was written in the recipe! And let's not even talk about the ingredients refused (and I mean flat out refused) to emulsify into anything even remotely resembling a usable sauce. I did manage to save the sauce, but never will I go the recipe route again.

I also found a much easier (and completely edible) way to make this sauce. I might even go as far to say that it's even more delicious than the original. Try it yourself, but please, feel free to change it as you like!

Green Garlic Dipping Sauce
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup homemade mayo
  • 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 10 green olives, pitted
  • 1 tbsp of green capers
  • Coarse ground sea salt and black pepper
  • *optional: 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
 Method: 
  1. Mix the first four ingredients together and blend until smooth using an immersion blender.
  2. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
  3. Delicious served with sweet potato fries or chips as well as with raw veggies.
*If desired, this dipping sauce can be converted into a salad dressing by adding vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment