Friday, January 10, 2014

Food Prep {lunch + a chicken salad recipe}

Preparing healthy food ahead of time is essential, but it doesn't have to be time consuming. Today I will explain my usual, weekly lunch prep - and finish with one of my favorite lunch-time meals!
First, I cook up a ton of chicken. I eat about 100 grams of chicken per meal, and the hubster likes to double that number, so I need to figure anywhere from 300-500 grams of chicken per day (about 1/2 - 1 lb). Some weeks I'll roast three whole chickens using Jaime Oliver's Perfect Roast Chicken recipe (I'll change up the veggies and use what I received in the veggie basket). Other weeks I'll broil a bunch of drumsticks or thighs, or sautée some chicken breast in coconut oil. Or maybe I'll do a combination of all three - it really just depends on what's on sale.
The roast chicken, drumsticks and thighs are usually just eaten as is. We play around with the chicken breasts a bit more though. Sometimes they'll be stuffed, sometimes we'll cut them into strips and add them to a Big Ass Salad, or cut into chunks and dip them into spicy mayo. But my absolute favorite way to eat chicken breast is shredded into a chicken salad, and that is the recipe I will share with you below.
See more food prep
ideas on Instagram
@bepaleoandthrive
If we don't feel like chicken, or if I didn't cook enough, we'll eat dinner leftovers or canned tuna, either in a Big Ass Salad or prepared something like my chicken salad.
Next, we need some veggies. We like to change things up throughout the week and not eat the same thing every day, so I've started preparing little sides that we mix and match. Each morning before leaving for work, we pull a food container of meat out of the fridge, as well as two or three veggie containers (sometimes the hubby has potato or white rice containers to choose from as well).
For example, this week I made up 4 small side salads, each with a little container of homemade creamy Italian dressing. We have leftover turnips from one dinner and leftover Bister Beets from another. I purposely make too many veggies at dinner time so I can box them up for our lunches. We "collect" the leftovers all week and use them to compose our own lunches.

Sometimes I'll prep some snacks for us, such as hardboiled eggs or fresh cut veggies, but we generally aren't big snackers. If the urge to snack does hit us, we reach for ready-to-eat foods such as nuts or dry-cured ham.

And now on to what you really can here to see: the recipe!

Avocado Chicken Salad
http://www.picmonkey.com/p/2cxWSpv6eUpsave this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1 chicken breast
  • 1/4 of a ripe avocado
  • 1 tbsp homemade mayo
  • 1 tbsp yellow mustard
  • Sea salt and black pepper
  • Large lettuce leaves or celery sticks
Method:
  1. Cook and shred the chicken breast (this video is great, or shred leftover chicken).
  2. Allow the meat to cool, then stir in the rest of the ingredients, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Serve this cold or at room temperature in lettuce wraps or on celery sticks.

I like to mix a few of these up when we get celery in our veggie basket, pack it all into food containers, and use the celery sticks to spoon the chicken out of the container and into my mouth! Yum!

4 comments:

  1. i cant wait to try this! it looks delicious and i love that i can have my celery too!!! i am amazed at your recipes~ mmmm delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like it - is super simple to make and I usually times it by four to use up the whole avocado and have four days of lunches ready (though I add a veggie to my mall add well).

    I have another great lunch salad recipe I'll be posting soon - using tuna this time! I'll let you know, of course! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so good, I will have to try it sometime! I'm still really iffy about eating meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always use more avocado and less meat, if you're afraid you won't digest it well, or replace all the meat with 2 hardboiled eggs =D

      Delete