Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Food Prep {breakfast + Green Eggs & Ham recipe}

Preparing healthy food ahead of time is essential, but it doesn't have to be time consuming. Today I will explain my go-to breakfast and explain the preparation I do for it.

My mornings are pretty rushed. I wake up at 5:40, giving myself about 1 hour and 40 minutes to workout, get showered and dressed, and eat a healthy breakfast before heading out the door to work. And because my breakfast is post-workout, I need it to be filling enough not only to keep me going until lunch, but also to help repair and build up my muscles.

Enter Green Eggs & Ham. The eggs and ham provide me with protein, generally about 20 grams, or about 1/4 of my daily needs. Protein helps you stay fuller longer and is largely responsible for building new cells, which is especially important after a workout. I usually scramble two eggs whites and one egg yolk together, leaving the seond egg yolk raw to spread on top after everything is cooked. Leaving the yolk raw helps preserve a maximum of nutrients.

One of our weekly veggie baskets from La Bourrache
See more on my Instagram @bepaleoandthrive
The green in my eggs comes from leeks and avocados, which are veggies and fruits, respectively. I started using leeks because we get them pretty often in our veggie basket, but if I don't have leeks, I'll substitute something else. Frozen veggies are great to have on hand for quick and easy breakfast sautées. The avocado adds creaminess to the meal and also gives me a good dose of healthy fats.

Moving on to the prep now...

Cut and wash the leeks. I like to slice the leek thinly, and use the whole plant. Be sure to wash carefully as dirt loves to get into every nook and cranny of this veggie (and while dirt can be a natural source of the vitamin B12, it's not much fun to crunch...).

Melt some ghee in a stainless steel frying pan over medium heat. Add the leeks and cooking, stirring often, until the pieces are soft. Let cool and store in the fridge.

And that's it for me! My ham is usually a Parma-style dry-cured ham, either sold in slices or julienne pieces. Sometimes I change things up a bit and use chorizo instead of ham. If so, I'll pre-chop some of that and store in the fridge next to my leeks.

As for the avocado, I always have a small food container in the fridge holding my current avocado. I just cut into it as needed and put the rest back into the box until the next time.

How about a little recipe to finish up this post?

Green Eggs & Ham
Ingredients:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup pre-cooked leeks
  • 1-2 slices of ham (about 1-2 oz)
  • 1 tsp of ghee
  • 1/4 of an avocado
  • Sea salt and black pepper
Method:
  1. Melt the ghee in a stainless steel frying pan. Add the leeks and stick around to coak evenly.
  2. Push the leeks to one side and add the ham. Continue cooking, stirring the leeks and flipping the ham until both or slightly browned.
  3. Meanwhile, whisk together two egg whites and one yolk, setting the second yolk aside.
  4. Mash the avocado up on one half of your plate, seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove the ham from the pan, placing on the other half of the plate.
  5. Add the whisked eggs to the frying pan, mixing the leeks in and seasoning with salt and pepper. Cook until the eggs are set, then place on top of the mashed avocado.
  6. Place the raw egg yolk on top of your eggs.
  7. Serve immediately and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I love leeks, I always forget about them though!
    And I'm so impressed that you eat raw eggs. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, just raw yolks, not the whole egg ;-) I love sunny side up, and scrambled... this way I get the best of both!

      Delete