Thursday, January 23, 2014

What's Fennel? {fennel carrot salad}

I love everything about this veggie. First off, it looks like it's waving at me every time I glance at it, and that just makes me happy! Second off, the smell is amazing, just like black licorice! And lastly, the it's really quite tasty - and soooo good for you, to boot!

They are an excellent source of vitamin C (great for people like me who can't tolerate eating oranges regularly) and are a powerhouse of other great things such as fiber, magnesium and potassium.

Some people even claim fennel has medicinal properties, such as relieving gas, bloating and cramps.

You can eat the bulb raw or cooked many different ways. My favorite ways are raw, sliced over a mixed green salad or diced over a grated carrot salad. I'm sharing this recipe with you today, as I make it during my food prep for the week. The recipe yields 8 small portions, but can easily be scaled down for a single meal or even up for a potluck gathering.

Fennel Carrot Salad
Ingredients:
Method:
  1. Peel and grate your carrots. (Food processors come in handy here.)
  2. Wash the fennel plant. Cut off any fronds (the green "fingers") and remove any damaged outer layers. Slice the bulb in half length-wise and remove the solid core from both halves. Dice what's left.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the carrots with the mayo, vinegar, fennel and mustard. Mix well to combine.
  4. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
If serving at a potluck, save a few of the green whisps from the fronds to garnish the dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment