Saturday, January 25, 2014

Dehydrating Stuff {bacon jerky}

I used to think that bacon was just about as good as it could get. Then I discovered bacon jerky. Bacon. Jerky. I'm drooling just thinking about it...

I'm pretty sure I finished a bag in one sitting the first time I saw some. Annnnd bacon jerky helped keep me alive as I flew home to Belgium from America (thank you, fast food joint, for your cheapo-salad sprinkled with my bag of bacon jerky). I mean, it's bacon jerky! It's chewy, fatty, salty, bacony goodness in a highly portable and easily preservable form!

The downside to bacon jerky? It doesn't exist in Belgium!

So what's a girl with a bacon addiction to do? Make her own!

Making my own bacon jerky also allows me to choose the ingredients that go into my mouth. I don't have my own smoker (though it is going to happen someday soon - just as soon as we have a backyard...) so I'm still forced to buy commercial bacon. I have managed to find a sugar-free (great for Whole30!) bacon at my local Delhaize, but I'm still on the lookout for a locally-sourced and cured bacon...

So far I've made strips of bacon jerky - but I'm thinking dehydrated bacon bits (lardons in French) would be AMAZING over a salad!

Bacon Jerky


Spread your bacon strips out flat on your dehydrator sheets and set your dehydrator to it's maximum setting.

Rotate the trays every 30 minutes or so, checking for doneness each time. Thinly-sliced bacon should take about 1 1/2 hours, thicker-sliced bacon may take up to 3 hours.
Store in an air-tight container for a couple days, or for a couple weeks in the fridge.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! This post is a God send for me!!! I have been living in Belgium just over a year and am living whole30. But my US Commissary only sells cured sugar packed bacon! Could you tell me the name of the brand you purchased? I haven't found anything at our local Carrefour but here is a Delhaize nearby!

    ReplyDelete