Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Belgian Favorites {Endive Surprise}





My mother-in-law prepares most of the meals she serves herself - this means I have eaten many a home-cooked Belgian classic!

She spends a lot of time in the kitchen, but not a lot of time looking for recipes. Most of the recipes she prepares are either memorized and stored away in her head, or, for dishes she makes less often, handwritten on little cards clipped into a mini two-ring binder.

She doesn't own many cookbooks, and rarely uses the one she has - but there is one special book that stands out in her small collection: La Bonne Cuisine Française.

Between the covers of this book can be found all sorts of traditional meals, and while it is a French cookbook, many dishes are favorites in Belgium as well. I used to spend hours flipping through the pages of her book, reading the quirky tips and tricks for each recipe, learning new techniques and even cooking a thing or two myself.

You can understand my joy when I found a copy while at a local flea market! I quickly bought it and took it home, marking interesting recipes and dreaming up new dishes to make.

Want the yummy dressing recipe?
I sometimes share recipes only on
Instagram to thank my followers...
Follow me @bepaleoandthrive
Now, this cookbook is far from being paleo, or even paleo-friendly, but when I want to know how the "experts" do it, I turn to this book, then I adapt accordingly.

Which is exactly what I did when I got a hankering for baked endives.

I used to loathe this dish, as I found it rather bitter. Then I learned a trick - cut out the hard, bitter centers, keeping only the crisp leaves. This is now one of my comfort dishes, especially now that I have paleo-fied it!

I used dry-cured farm-style ham, but feel free to use your favorite.

Endive Surprise

Ingredients:
  • 2-3 Belgian endives
  • 4-6 slices of ham
  • 1/4 cup bone broth
  • 1/4 cup cashews (35 grams)
  • Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Method:
  1. Wash the endives and remove any damaged leaves. Slice each in half and remove the bitter core.
  2. Wrap each half in a slice of ham. Pack the endive halves into a baking dish and set aside.
  3. Using an immersion blender, blend together the cashews and bone broth. Pour over the endives.
  4. Bake at 200°C (400°F) for 45 minutes.
  5. Serve with a veggie mash and a green salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment