Thursday, January 9, 2014

Bacon makes everything better {green beans & bacon}




Bacon has got to be one of my favorite, Paleo-approved, doesn't-make-me-sick foods ever. And I'm a firm believer that bacon really does make everything better.



Point in case: I love green beans. They're one of my favorite veggies ever, and have been since I was a child. I even love preparing fresh green beans: popping off the woody stem, cracking them into two or three pieces, and, if I'm feeling extra motivated, slicing them down the middle to create "fancy cut" green beans. How can it get better than that?

Enter bacon.


This recipe is Momma's recipe. I hadn't eaten it in forever, but she made it when I was there visiting this summer. (Actually, she had to make it multiple times during my one-month stay because I might have requested it every time she asked me. What a good Momma I have!)

This recipe is pretty versatile as well. If you're having guests over for dinner, leave the beans whole and cut the bacon into long ribbons - they look prettier stacked on the side of a plate that way. If you don't care about the presentation and just want the yumminess in your mouth, break the the beans and cut the bacon into smaller pieces. Either way, it'll be delicious.


Momma's Green Beans & Bacon
Ingredients:
  • 500 grams fresh green beans (about 1lb)
  • 125 grams sugar-free bacon (4.5 oz)
  • 1 onion
  • 1 garlic clove
  • Sea salt
Method:
  1. Wash and prepare the green beans. Put them in a medium-sized pot full of salty water and cook for about 20 minutes once the water starts boiling. Drain and set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, chop the bacon and start cooking over medium heat. Chop the onion and add it to the bacon. Add the minced garlic clove and stir until the onions are translucent and the bacon is cooked.
  3. When the bacon is cooked, add it to the green beans and stir to combine. Serve immediately and enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE FRESH GREEN BEANS....if they are not in season, I have used canned green beans and put bacon in it. I never put onions or garlic....I will this week though. Thank you for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I hope you like it as much as I do. You can also sub frozen green beans if the fresh aren't in season :)

    ReplyDelete