Saturday, January 4, 2014

An Ode to Bister & Elana Amsterdam {Bister Beet Salad}

http://www.picmonkey.com/p/6fWhvcGjPAn



I received Elana Amsterdam's Paleo Cooking from Elana's Pantry cookbook this year for Christmas - thanks, family! You can read my review on Amazon here. To be short and sweet about, I really like this cookbook. So much so, that I got right to work "testing" the recipes!


First up was the Mustard Salmon Fillet. I made a couple slight changes, because I am incapable of following a recipe as it is written, and it came out delicious! The biggest change I made was to substitute my favorite mustard - Bister, L'Impériale Mustard. I love that this mustard is locally made here in Belgium and is 100% natural! It's also insanely delicious and I may or may not be known to eat it by the spoonful... Anyway, this mustard was just what my salmon fillet needed!

To continue with the Bister theme, I made a simple grated beet salad to go with it. The natural sweetness of the beet pairs perfectly with the slight spice of the mustard and the crunch of the salad balanced out the fork-tender fish fillet quite nicely.

Bister Beet Salad serves 2 as a side

Ingredients:
  • 2 medium-sized beets
  • 2 heaping tbsps homemade mayo
  • 1 heaping tbsp L'Impériale Mustard (or sub your favorite mustard)
  • 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • Coarse-ground black pepper and sea salt
Method:
  1. Peel, wash and grate the raw beets (a food processor comes in handy for this).
  2. In a medium-sized bowl, mix everything together. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  3. Serve and enjoy!

This keeps well in the refrigerator and can be made up to several days in advance.

BOOK STATS:

  • Number of recipes: 91
  • Number of recipes with photo: 17 (18%)
  • Number of nut free recipes: 61 (67%)
  • Number of egg free recipes: 60 (66%)
  • Number of sugar free recipes: 45 (49%) I included all forms of sugar in this count, even fruit, excluding lemons and limes. There are many recipes that use Stevia as well, not included in this count.

4 comments:

  1. how do you make homemade mayo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly, that's the topic of my next post =) Stay tuned to find out... =P

      Delete
  2. The only time I have ever cooked with beets was when I made a beet chocolate cake (delicious btw, but so not paleo) I never would have thought to use them like this.
    I did buy a mandoline so I can try this recipe using it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll be adding a few dessert recipes now and then, after my Whole30, and I've been thinking about using veggies in cakes and breads...

      I hope you like beets this way, it's pretty much my favorite way to eat beets!

      Delete